Walking, Dr.Thomas Frieden (CDC) says, “it’s the closest thing we have to a wonder drug. ”Walking comes with a host of benefits. Here are five that might surprise you:
- It counteracts the effects of weight-promoting genes. Harvard researchers discovered that, participants who walked briskly for an hour a day, cut the effects of 32 obesity promoting genes by half.
- It helps tame a sweet tooth. Two studies from the University of Exeter found, a 15-minute walk can curb cravings for chocolate.
- It reduces the risk of developing breast cancer. An American Cancer Society study found that women who walked seven or more hours a week had a 14% lower risk of developing breast cancer than those who walked three or less hours per week.
- It eases joint pain. Numerous studies have found that walking reduces arthritis-related pain. Especially hip and knee joints! Walking five to six miles a week can prevent arthritis from forming in the first place.
- It boosts immune function. Walking can help protect you during cold and flu season. Studies found that those who walked at least 20 minutes a day, 5 days a week, had 43% fewer sick days than those who exercised one or less times a week.
It’s going to be a lovely weekend…get out there and take a “hike”.
Answers to Thursday “Threezers”:
- Female fighters, Regal river, Web super-store – Amazons
- A toilet, A scuba diver, A gas barbecue – All have Tanks
- A golf course, All in the Family, World War 1 - All have “Bunkers”
Friday Factoids: On this day in history…
- 1865: Union soldiers arrive in this city/state and slavery is abolished.
- Today is the birthday, 1903 of this 6-time World Series champion? He died from ALS now known as _______ Disease.
- 1960: This artist released the song “I’m a Honky Tonk Girl”
What will you do “just for today”?
Father’s Day Blessings to any dad, grandpa, step-dad, uncle and those who fill the Father role. You matter! Thank you for all you do.